Meal of the Day | Vegan Lentil Chili
Try this vegan chili with lentils to add some meaty flavor, but maintain an oh-so-lean palate!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 (16 oz.) bag of brown lentils
- 1 (8 oz.) can of kidney beans, I prefer the dark red for color
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf (adds a heavy, meaty flavor)
- 2 (32 oz.) cartons vegetable stock or chicken stock
- sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and ground cayenne red pepper to taste
- Optional vegan toppings: croutons, tortilla chips and yummy avocado!
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; saute the vegetables for 8 minutes or until onion is soft and lightly browned.
- Stir in garlic and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer 3 cups of cooked chili into a food processor and process until pureed; add the pureed chili back into the remaining chili and stir to combine. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Stir in cilantro and serve.
If you like your chili super spicy, add chopped fresh jalapeno or red pepper flakes for some heat
As always, love much, laugh often, eat delicious, nutritious and filling food and look fabulous while doing it all! ;) Love, Blair